Used cars are a great deal and can allow you to get a good value for your money. However, you want to ensure that you are making smart choices so you don’t end up with a vehicle that has a lot of problems or that won’t be a reliable new method of transportation for you. Fortunately, there are plenty of great used cars out there- you just need to know where to look and what to look for.
How to Research Used Cars
Before you visit used car dealers in your area, you should get a pretty good idea of what exactly you are looking for in terms of your new-used vehicle. You want to do some research about prices of cars that are available on the market; about safety and benefits of different vehicles; and about what you can expect as far as how cars hold their values and the repair costs you are likely to incur over the course of owning the car. There are a lot of websites out there that will allow you to do this research so you can be prepared to make a smart used car purchase.
Some of the different resources that you can use to find out what used car is right for you include:
- Edmunds: Edmunds provides comprehensive information on used vehicles, including details on safety ratings and reviews as well as information on what prices are reasonable to expect to pay for new cars.
- Kelley Blue Book: Kelley Blue Book is widely viewed as the most authoritative guide on used car pricing. You can use Kelley Blue Book both to estimate what your trade-in should be worth for the vehicle you are trying to sell as well as to get an idea of what the price should be for the new car that you are interested in buying.
- Motor Trend: Motor Trend allows you to search used cars in your area and to find options available from both sellers and dealers. You can sort by make and search by price and you can get some basic information on safety, style and appearance of the vehicle you may be interested in buying.
- Cars.com: Cars.com allows you to search the used car inventory in your area so you can see what is available to you. You can also find out about reviews and resale information on used cars and get an idea of what you should expect to pay when you go shopping for a used vehicle.
- Auto Trader.com: Auto Trader is a great source of information on used vehicles in your area. With information on safety, top cars and pricing, Auto Trader can prepare you to pick the right used vehicle and to negotiate a great deal on it.
All of these different websites allow you to be educated and informed about used car shopping. Many of the sites also allow you to search for used vehicles for sale in your area. To find used cars to buy, you can also take advantage of online classified websites such as Craigslist as well as dealer websites which will allow you to see offerings at local used-car lots in your area.
By taking the time to research the benefits of different used cars and to shop around for the best prices, you can end up with a reliable new-used car that you will love and that will last you for a long time.